California Professional License Law Solutions
We offer comprehensive legal strategies for California licensed professionals and license applicants. If one of these scenarios fits your situation, please call us immediately for a confidential consultation:
You are applying for a license or license renewal and have to make background disclosures
We will ensure that you provide accurate, required information, with responses and explanations that are designed to minimize application problems.
You are licensed, and have received an Accusation
An Accusation is a legal document listing charges against a licensed professional. It is usually served by certified mail and is accompanied by other legal documents including a
Notice of Defense.
Immediate action is required to preserve your right to a hearing and to prevent a default.
You are licensed, and have been contacted by your licensing agency by letter, or by an agency investigator
A cautious, but prompt and cooperative reply, is usually beneficial. Some situations may call for immediate remedial action. In some cases, it is wisest to make no statements at all. We can craft a strategy for responding to the agency and resolving issues at the earliest possible stage.
You are applying for a license and have received a denial letter or a Statement of Issues
A prompt response, providing more information or seeking an appeal, is required. If you received a Statement of Issues, it is usually served by certified mail and is accompanied by other legal documents including a
Notice of Defense.
Immediate action is required to preserve your right to an appeal of the denial of the license.
You have just lost a licensing hearing, or received a notice your license is revoked
Time is of the essence. You may need to file a Petition for Writ of Administrative Mandamus (an appeal) or a Petition for Reconsideration (submitting new arguments or evidence to the licensing agency.) Timelines are very short, so contact us immediately for help with an appeal.
You have just received a Default Decision revoking your license
You may have just seven or fewer days to file a motion to set aside the default. Immediate, urgent action is required, or it may be too late to reverse the revocation.
We offer comprehensive California licensing law representation, including:
- helping license applicants to disclose and explain adverse background information on an application
- responding to licensing agency investigation letters
- handling board investigations that become criminal investigations
- addressing licensed business state law compliance issues
- appealing the denial of any California professional license
preventing immediate suspension of a license in
criminal court under Penal Code section 23
- defending against interim suspension orders (ISOs)
- filing a Notice of Defense in response to an Accusation
- negotiations with the Attorney General or Department Counsel
- representation at administrative hearings
- writs and appeals after an adverse decision
- petition for reinstatement after the loss of a license
- handling problems that arise during license probation
- early termination of probation
- modification of the terms of probation
- defending criminal charges in court that arise from a license discipline investigation
We have represented clients before various departments, boards and bureaus, including:
- Medical Board of California (Physician, PTAL)
- Osteopathic Medical Board of California (Osteopathic Physician)
- Board of Podiatric Medicine of California (Podiatrist)
- Dental Board of California (Dentist)
- California Board of Psychology (Psychologist)
- California Veterinary Medical Board (Veterinarian)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (Registered Nurse, Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Anesthetist)
- Licensed Vocational Nursing Board (Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN or Psychiatric Technician)
- Speech-Pathology and Audiology Board (Speech-Language Pathologist)
- Physical Therapy Board of California (Physical Therapist, Physical Therapist Assistant)
- Respiratory Care Board of California (Respiratory Therapist)
- Optometry Board (Optometrist)
- Contractors State Licensing Board (Licensed Contractor)
- California Board of Accountancy (Certified Public Accountant)
- Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors and Geologists (Civil Engineer, Geologist)
- Department of Real Estate (Real Estate Broker, Real Estate Salesperson)
- Office of Real Estate Appraisers (Real Estate Appraiser)
- Department of Insurance (Insurance Broker, Life Agent, Property and Casualty Broker, Bail Bondsman)
- FINRA (NASD) (Broker/Dealer)
- Department of Motor Vehicles (Automobile Dealer, Automobile Salesperson, Wholesaler)
- Department of Social Services (Elder Care, Child Care, Criminal Record Exemption)
- Alcoholic Beverage Control Board (Offsite Liquor License)
- Bureau of Barbering and Cosmetology (Cosmetologist)
- Bureau of Automotive Repair (Smog Check, Auto Repair Dealer)
- Bureau of Security and Investigative Services (Repossessor Agency, Locksmith)
Please call (800) 474-6911 or (714) 558-8488 for a consultation concerning your professional licensing problem.